Adjusting to adversity-"Double Trouble"


I started my lab C teaching assignment today. The class had to teach two seven minute lessons on a non-traditional sport. We were teamed up with another student to come up with a non-traditional sport not normally taught in the school system. We came up with "Double Ball." It is a Native American sport played by women of the Cree Nation. You have all heard about lacrosse, but only men played, now it was are turn to teach what the women played to stay in shape and for some fun. "Double Ball" resembles lacrosse in some ways, Field hockey in others and ultimate Frisbee in another. Lacrosse because you had to throw two balls through the air both attached together with a string, where the term "Double Ball" came from, with a stick; Field hockey because the sticks they used to throw these balls was as big as a Field hockey stick and a little curved at the end; Ultimate Frisbee because once you caught the ball you could not move around any more and had to be thrown again from that spot until it reached a goal where you had to place the Double Ball on a wicket to score.

Enough of what we were teaching on to how the lesson started as "Double Ball" and almost ended as "Double Trouble". First the partner I had ended up letting me know the day of our first seven minute lesson that he would not be making it. The next thing was I realized non of the equipment was ordered ahead of time so it wasn't prepared for our lesson that day. Third I realized I had two not just teach one seven minute lesson which was all planned out, but two, that I didn't have planned out and had to totally wing it from the lesson plan that we had prepared ahead of time in case of that just thing.

It ended up being rewarding teaching with the adversity though, it taught me a valuable lesson, not always can you plan for adversity but you can be prepared for them if they do occur.

So if your wondering how I made it through all this...............here goes..........I convinced the equipment manager, Penny, to hook me up with all the equipment I needed right before my lesson with a little persuasion, ok...ok.., chocolate I told her I would get her a box of her favorite chocolate. If anyone would like to know her favorite: its anything to do with raspberry chocolate. As for what I did for the second lesson, I found out how well the students did on the first lesson and went to the lesson plan, found out what level the students were at, and taught the next progression. Pheeeeeeewwwwwww.......

"Suny Cortland is the place to BE for PE!"

No comments: